Choquequirao is situated in the spurs of the mountain range of Salkantay, at 3035 m.a.s.l. surrounded by mounts Yanama, Ampay, Choquetacarpu and Pumasillo on the right side of Apurimac river.
Choquequirao is an Inca town formed by small sites spread out in rubblework that in its adjoining constructs a complex metropolis similar to those of the other regions placed on the crest of the hill by the some name of Choquequirao.
Day 1: Cusco – Capuliyoc – Chiquiska – Rosalina beach
- Distance from Cachora to Capuliyoc 11 km (6 Miles)
- Distance from Capuliyoc to Chiquisca 7.4 Km (4 Miles)
- Distance from Capuliyoc to Playa Rosalina 10.8 Km (6 Miles)
Day 2: Rosalina beach – Apurimac river – Choquequirao
- Distance from Playa Rosalina to Marampata 6.6 Km (4 Miles)
- Distance from Marampata to Camp. Choquequirao 4 Km (2 Miles)
Day 3: Full day Choquequirao – Santa Rosa baja
- Distance from Camp. Choquequirao to Archeological site Choquequirao 1.6 Km (1 Mile)
- Distance from Camp. Choquequirao to Santa Rosa Baja 8 Km (4 Miles)
Day 4: Santa Rosa baja – Cocamasana
After breakfast in the campsite of Santa Rosa Baja (2073 m.a.s.l/6801 feet), we will begin our day way descending over the Apurimac Valley. The descent is very steep and so we take our time, descending slowly. This path will show how steep this river valley is, as well as exposing some impressive and unforgettable views. Then we take our way up to Chiquiska (1893 m.a.s.l/6210 feet) where we will rest in and will have lunch.
After lunch, we will continue our way to Cocasama (2330 m.a.s.l/7644 feet) that is a small village full of typical houses of the Andean area. At this point we will enjoy the last dinner of this trekking and also we will spent the last night.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Distances for this trekking day:
- Distance from Santa Rosa Baja to Cocamasana 8.6 Km (5 Miles)
Average walking Time: 8 hrs.
Day 5: Cocasama – Capuliyoc – Cusco:
After breakfast early in the morning in Cocasama (2330 m.a.s.l/7644 feet), we will start the last day of hiking; on our way back to Capuliyoc 2911 m.a.s.l/9550 feet) we have the chance to enjoy the lookout point and also a nice weather of this area. Here, we will finish the Choquequirao hiking, and we will board the bus to go back to Cusco.
Breakfast and box lunch included.
Distances from point to point:
- Distance from Cocamasana to Capuliyoc 4.8 Km (2 Miles)
Average walking Time: 3 hrs.
- Choquequirao entrance fee
- Professional english speaking guides.
- Bus transportation to the starting point.
- Tents and all other camping equipment.
- First aid kit.
- Full board.
- Horseman and horses (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
- Porters, Cook, and Cooking equipment.
- Sleeping bags.
- Extra porters.
- Everything that is not mentioned in the program.
- Hotel in Cusco.
For the 5 days of the walk, you should always carry:
- Identity documents for the controls.
- Walking shoes.
- Carry a backpack with proportional clothing for 5 days of trekking and personal hygiene items.
- Bring light
- Warm clothing, suitable for hiking and rain (waterproof)
- Sunscreen and sunglasses.
- Personal medications.
- Walking sticks.
- Water bottle for the walk.
- Appropriate hats for the walk.
- Camera and binoculars.
- Map of the route.
Prices from USD (per person based in double occupancy)
Need more information about this program?
Want to make a reservation?