The climb of Ampato volcano, a snow-capped mountain (6318 m)outside of Arequipa in Peru, is a moderate to challenging adventure.
This mountain was sacred to the incas and it was here that the mummy Juanita, also known as the ” Ice Maiden” was found in 1995. She was sacrificed by Incas priests in the 15th century and was discovered after being dislodged from her buried place. She is considered to be one of the world’s best preserved mummies.
Day 01 : Arequipa – Ampato Base Camp
At 7am leave from your hotel in Arequipa to Sallalli, off road travel by our 4WD to the base of mount Ampato. On the way, we will observe big groups of Alpacas, Llamas and Vicuñas into the national reserve of “Aguada Blanca y Salinas”, that is located behind the Chachani and Misti volcanoes, after 5 hours we will arrive to the first base camp (4800 m). Overnight.
Lunch and dinner included.
Day 02 : Base Camp – Camp 2
At 7am packing all our camping and climbing gear. Then, we will do 5 to 6 hours climbing to second base camp (5400 m), giving plenty of time to enjoy the views around. This day, we will climb on the southern east face of this mountain. At 2pm we will set up the second base camp. Overnight.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Day 03 : Camp 2 – Summit – Arequipa
At 2 or 3am, after early breakfast, using all our climbing equipment (ice axe – crampons – headlamp – ice boots – etc.). We will do 5 to 6 hours of very slow climb, at the top we will see the canyonlands, snow peaks. Closer to the top, we will see the Sabancaya and Walca Walca volcanoes and the amazing Andes of the southern of Peru.
At the top is possible to visit the archaeological site where the maiden of Ampato (Juanita, the Inca mummy) was found in 1995 by the American Johan Reinhard. Then, 4 hours of descend to base camp to get lunch, packing our tents and backpacks. Continue descending, we arrive to our 4×4 and then drive back to Arequipa (4 hours trip) and end of the service in your hotel.
Breakfast and lunch included.
- Private transportation by 4 x 4.
- Safety equipment (Rapes, Anchorages, others).
- First aid kit.
- Camping equipment.
- All meals.
- Experienced official mountain guide.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Sleeping bags.
- Tips or taxes.
- Flight tickets.
- Hotel in Arequipa.
Preparing your luggage to go climbing, don’t forget to pack:
- Backpack with rain shelter.
- Sleeping bag.
- Clothing for warm and cold climates like a waterproof jacket.
- Rain pants and lightweight pants.
- Trekking shoes.
- Slippers or sandals (for showers).
- Woollen or synthetic socks and a sweater.
- Long- and short-sleeved polo/T-Shirts.
- Rain poncho and a hat.
- Sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper.
- Camera (wrapped in plastic bag).
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit.
- Original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
- Since the weather can be very cold and moist, your clothes – once gotten wet – won’t dry at night. So take some clothes to change.
Prices from USD 652.00 (per person based in double occupancy)
Need more information about this program?
Want to make a reservation?